Monday, November 19, 2007

The White Nile

This past Saturday I went rafting on the Nile. The rapids we experienced are the largest commercially run rapids in the world. This was definately the most extreme experience of my life, and totally amazing. Though we did not go without incident. On the first class five one of the rafts flipped at a dangerous spot, and three people came down on some rocks. My raft also flipped at that point, and after what was a complete blur I was flushed out without injury. The people that had hit the rocks were not able to go on so we dropped them off and continued down the river. At the end of the day our raft was flipped twice, and I had been ejected on another occasion, but we still had the last and biggest rapid of the day, "The Bad Place." When you go into the "Bad Place" no one knows what to expect, but you can probably count on a swim. I had the longest swim out of all forty people. I was definately ready when I finally got back to the surface to get a short breathe of air before I was sucked under again and taken down the rest of the rapid whereas everyone else was spit right out.