Friday, October 26, 2007

Saint Andrew's Hullabaloo


This week started off with a simple assignment for my P.6 class at St. Andrew's, write a poem. When they handed them in I scanned them as I collected them, and I noticed a recurring poem, so I asked the culprits where the poem was from, and after a little more inquiring I found out that nobody in the class had actually written a poem they all just copied one and handed it in. So I acted really mad, told them it was serious and a really bad thing to do, plagiarism blah blah blah, and they just laughed and made fun of me. So after giving them another chance, and them lying to my face saying they really did it this time, it was obvious they had done the same exact thing. So all in all it was a real exhausting class, acting like I was mad the whole time, writing "You Fail" across their poems, and meanwhile being completely mocked. So I threatened to tell Moses, the teacher that is cold as ice when it comes to discipline, and that got a few of them worried because I looked quite serious, even though I was not because Moses would just beat them, and I don't think I am that cold hearted.
The next day was significantly easier. I had two hours with them, so I just wrote sooo many math problems on the board, and sat back and laughed the rest of the period (inside of course... I continued to be angry on the outside).
I slowly eased back into my normal self the rest of the week, and had a fun time hanging out with some of the girls Wednesday evening. They are so funny and they just ask me questions a fall on the ground laughing. They taught me a little bit of Lusoga, and did some Ugandan dances, their favorite being "Calypso" which is really a terrible dance with zero gracefulness, but they sang some nice songs.
Today I had a nice walk to school with a beautiful breeze blowing from the lake, but that was not the only thing blowing in from the lake. Right when I finished with class, we got a downpour. I was stranded, but delighted to watch the kids loving it. I leaned up against the wall, and listened to some happy music on my ipod while the kids were running around and dancing to the sound of the rain pounding on the metal roof. Oh, but then came stone cold Moses, and when he puts his serious face on it is quite scary. He came marching down with his favorite stick, and the children went from jubilant to seriously alarmed, and they scattered like wild animals under attack. It was quite hilarious, and I only regretted that I didn't have a video camera to capture all the excitement over the rain. After Moses locked one class in their room the rain stopped, and I had to walk home in a red clay river.