Friday, December 7, 2007

Dust Bowl

I went to school yesterday to see my students for the last time as they came to get their exam scores, and I closed my eyes the entire ride there as a thick layer of dust settled on my face. This place had turned into a dust bowl with the lack rain in the past few weeks so it was fitting that I was kept up all last night by the rain hitting the roof like something hitting metal in a very loud manner.
The exam scores were not so great, and as a result, twelve of sixty-five will not be promoted to P.6. The exams themselves were a pretty poor assessment of what the kids were taught this term, and contained most of what they had forgotten from the first two terms. With a good study and review program I am confident that the scores would be much higher and very few kids would have to repeat, but the schools just don't have the organization for something like that, and the classes are too big to pay attention to everyone.
Anywho, I said goodbye to all the kids, and today is the teachers' party. I am now packing to come home, and hoping that the Ebola outbreak in the west will not have an impact on my travel.